Latest Release: Tcl/Tk 8.5.16 (Aug 25, 2014)
The 8.5 release was a long time in development, and brought about
several good enhancements to Tcl/Tk.
Download Tcl/Tk 8.5.16 Source Releases
Download ActiveTcl 8.5.16 Binaries
Highlights of Tcl 8.5
- Features: 8.5 has over 90 TIPs included to provide a wide
variety of new features.
- Bignums: Tcl now supports arbitrary-precision integers, which
improves math operations on large integers.
- Safer interps: Tcl's powerful safe interpreter mechanism now
has improved control of time and command limits in slave interpreters.
clock command: More robust implementation of
command for specifying time, with significant l10n and i18n improvements.
dict command: New data structure that allows
access to data by value rather than a variable name, which is substantially
- Additional improvements: Faster list search, new and improved
mathematics procedures, anonymous procedures, new ways to package Tcl
extensions, Tcl-level custom channel types, file and line location
information for each command, and
Highlights of Tk 8.5
- New modern theming engine: New and complementary widgets that
make use of platform-specific theming on Mac OS X and Windows to better fit
in with those environments, and feature an improved look and feel under
- New widgets: Part of the themed widget set, Tk now has core
notebook, combobox, treeview and progressbar widgets.
text widget: Smooth scrolling, widget peering, and
improved procedures for counting and replacing text.
- Font rendering: Now uses anti-aliased text under X11, and a
more modern text engine (ATSUI) on Mac OS X.
- Additional improvements: Window transparency, new
fullscreen option for windows, enhancements to specific
widgets and window layout, and
There is of course much, much more. See
on the wiki for a complete list of new features.